Opening the door to fun and friendship
General Questions about the Web site
- How to Join North East Welcomers Facebook page?
How to join North East Welcomers Facebook page which is a “Public Group”.
1. Go to the following Facebook page
2. Click on “Join Group” in the top-right corner.
You may have to wait for a group admin to approve your request.
3. An email message is sent to the admin of the page stating that you are requesting to join the group.
Keep in mind when you join a group:
• People may see when you join a public or closed group or that you're a member of that group, like in News Feed or search.
• When someone adds you to a public or closed group, others may see that you've been invited (ex: in News Feed or search). Once you visit a group you're invited to, you'll become a member and other people may see that you joined.
General Computer Information
- How do I avoid viruses and spam?
Nothing can prevent viruses and spam completely so you need to practice "safe computing".
One step is using a good password. That is one which includes upper and lower case letters and number.
Do not just forward messages to everyone in your address book if you receive something from someone else. The e-mail addresses of the people who sent you the message and everyone they sent the message to and whoever forwarded the message to them are are listed. This leaves all of you open to spammers who can then access that information.
If you really want to forward something to others, copy just the applicable text and paste it in a new e-mail. To further protect those people you send the message or link to from spam, blind copy the e-mail addresses.
Often messages that have been forwarded multiple times specifically ask you to pass the word to all your friends. This should alert you to a possible hoax email or even something more dangerous. You could look on the symantek.com website or snopes.com to see whether the e-mail is even true before you pass the word along. At the very least the hoax e-mails tend to create extra traffic on the internet and fill up your friends e-mail boxes. The more dangerous e-mails contain bots, viruses etc that can threaten your computer's safety.
Lastly, get good firewall protection and update your virus definitions often. Weekly is not too often.
- Are there any rules on creating a password?
Computer geeks will tell you the safest password contains upper and lower case letters and maybe some numbers. Many people make a password something easily remembered . If you do not put a lot of personal info into the profile, the password can be easier than if there is financial info connected to that password. Another idea would be to set up a separate e-mail account just for sites like ours.